I know it's fun to cut and paste stuff. So here's a texty version. But I also have a lovely version of my resume.
I am seeking a lead or senior user experience position in a company that understands why happy and loyal customers are the key to profit, growth and sustainability. With a strong technical background, broad spectrum of expertise and knowledge of industry standards, I can save design cycles and development time in a team of any size. At this time I am only seeking permanent employee status.
July 2010 - Present
Director of User Experience
- Owner of the brand, creative director and producer of all collateral.
- Hired and managed User Experience department while also acting as an individual contributor
- Responsible for the complete user experience, from product strategy through release QA.
- Metrics-driven product management and UI design for user-facing features, including living styleguide, search results, product pages, account pages and mobile app with measurable success.
- Qualitative and quantitative user research with three different target audiences: internal, partner and consumer.
April 2009 - July 2010
Senior User Experience Designer
- Co-owner of the user experience, with the VP of Marketing.
- Qualitative research of existing features and customer requirement gathering for new features.
- Designed successful Address Book and Greeting Card projects, and designed major product page improvements.
- Created company's first styleguide document.
- Worked with creative team and engineering team closely to make the best of a waterfall process.
- Managed contract designers.
April 2007 - April 2009
Principal Interaction Designer
- Owned all aspects of online user experience for a complex, web-based application.
- Redesigned app from four different UI’s to one single, consistent look and feel.
- Performed customer requirement gathering, usability research and feature validation for all new products, saving development time and improving usability scores.
- Worked within product team to manage design contractors and collaborate with marketing, engineering and executives on major projects.
- Simplified every feature in the application, applying progressive disclosure principles to enhance learnability.
- Applied proper information architecture while redesigning major screens of the app, resulting in increased revenues and user activity.
May 2006 - April 2007
User Interface Designer
- Benchmarked the original UI of a desktop application using usability testing, heuristic evaluation, and baseline review.
- Built long-term strategy for user interface, emphasizing smooth transitions for the user and manageable development segments.
- Successfully brought product to beta and initial public release in cooperation with development team, marketing and executives.
- Provided numerous complete redesigns of the desktop application look and feel, toward three different goals.
- Remained agile through company direction changes, modifying goals and work plans as needed.
Sept 2002 - May 2006
User Interface Designer (contract position)
- Completed initial task - hi-fi prototype of a new ordering tool - in 2 weeks. Estimated time had been 3 months.
- Created and socialized unified ordering and tracking user interface to replace current function-based tools. Project was adopted.
- Created complete set of mockups and user interface design specifications for new ordering system, based on user research and iterative testing.
- Performed baseline usability testing and evaluation on current systems and used the results to refine the new system design.
- Identified best practices and metrics to be applied to entire organization, resulting in greater awareness of customer needs and feedback.
May 2002 - Sept 2002
User Interface Design Director (contract position)
- Created user interface for enterprise-level application suite using XHTML, XSL, XML and JSP
- Built Java servlets to support user interface
- Hand-coded HTML and JSP prototypes to specify graphical look and feel of application and address all business requirements
- Created corporate image collateral (postcards, mailers, etc.)
- Created styleguide and workflow specifications to ensure pleasant and efficient user experience
Jun 1996 - Dec 2005
- Formed company as contract/freelance effort in 1996
- Design and hand-code web-based application prototypes for clients including: QuickStrike, Society SM, RealHouseMusic.com, XAT, Inc., and Prochnow, LLP.
- Provide usability testing and support to clients including: QuickStrike, Avere, Inc. and XAT
- XML/XSL hand-coding and graphic design for clients including: Avere, Inc.
- Provide logo, branding and corporate identity design for clients including: NevadaQuest, Spider Internet, QMN Consulting, MuyCool Communications and Wildlife Rescue Foundation
- Design and develop static and dynamic HTML/Flash websites for clients including: XAT, Inc., Great Basin Internet, Magic 95.5 FM, The Hawk FM, QMN Consulting, Mayor Sandy Eakins and Quadravision
Mar 2000 - Mar 2002
User Interface Manager
- Designed entire look and feel of complex web-based application, and built HTML prototypes to support concepts and new development
- Ran usability testing and heuristic evaluations on a regular basis with actual users, and implemented findings
- Used original look and feel of web-based application to create first styleguide to improve consistency across site, resulting in increased usability
- Redesigned site to incorporate new corp image and more efficient user interface, decreasing the time required for a new user to learn the application
- Created User Interface and usability processes, increasing production efficiency and customer satisfaction
- Managed several UI designers and web developers through daily production of mockups
- Personally designed two separate desktop-based Visual Basic applications for the company
Aug 1999 - Mar 2000
Integrated Device Technology, Inc.
Senior Web Developer
- Managed a cross-functional team of designers and developers through daily production and project delivery
- Built secure extranet for use by major clients, including Solaris, Apache, and LDAP implementation and administration and project management
- Spearheaded intranet consistency and usability effort, resulting in unified look/feel and access to corporate intranet
- Lead developer and project manager for XML integration effort and Plumtree/SAP integrations
- Spearheaded usability effort for all e-business efforts, including corporate site, intranet and extranet sites. Performed all usability testing and coordinated with third party usability vendors.
Mar 1999 - Aug 1999
Senior Web Designer
- Daily hand-coding of HTML: maintenance and publication of web pages for busy e-commerce site
- Performed internal usability testing and used results to create user convenience features for intranet use
- Performed external usability testing and redesigned website to incorporate customer feedback and usability testing results
- Managed several junior employees and created processes to increase their productivity by 20%
- Provided desktop support technician and NT systems administration
Oct 1996 - Mar 1999
Great Basin Internet/Spider Internet
Head of Web Design
- Formed company as Great Basin's web design department.
- Responsible for all usability testing and implementation of results.
- Trained and managed two web design employees and one intern.
- Managed all aspects of web site creation from customer interface to graphic design and high-level programming, including front and back-end development of web apps.
Jun 1996 - Oct 1996
All Computers, Inc.
- Specialized in Internet hardware and applications, as well as LAN and WAN setup and administration.
- Provided DOS and MS Windows Technical support over the phone and in office.
- Repaired and supported personal computer systems with various hardware and software configurations.
- Built custom computer systems for home and corporate users.
Jan 1995 - June 1996
IBM's Technology Services Solutions was a partnership with Kodak to provide on-site hardware troubleshooting and repair.
- I was the youngest field technician ever employed by IBM.
- Provided hardware service and repair for Packard Bell, Acer, Gateway, Compaq, and IBM AS400 and POS equipment.